Spring in the Air (and the Kitchen)
This all time classic just got easy to make! Don’t be intimidated by the delicacy of the crepe; this crepe recipe will make it easy to pour, flip, and roll. It’s great cold or hot and can make enough for your roomies or leftovers for yourself.
Savory Spring Crepes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
1 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons of butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon salt
Sour Cream topping:
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup finely chopped chives (half in topping and other half in filling)
1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
1/2 cup corn
1/2 cup red and green peppers
1/2 cup green beans
1 cup ricotta cheese
- Make sour cream topping first and store in fridge. Add in 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/4 milk, and 1/8 of chives. Stir until mixed. Optional, add in a teaspoon of lemon juice for a little kick.
- If you’re making the crepes first and then the filling, be sure to put wax paper between the crepes so they don’t stick as they cool. If the crepes do stick, put them in the microwave for 30 seconds or until warm and they will come apart.
- For crepe: Pre-heat a medium sized pan to Medium-High heat. Use a non-stick pan or, if not available, grease the pan.
- Grab a large bowl and add all the crepe ingredients. Stir until mixed and no lumps remain.
- Use a 1/3 measuring cup to pour crepe batter onto the stove. Pour into pan and quickly tilt the pan in a circular motion to get a thin round layer of batter. They’ll cook quickly so be sure to watch.
- The batter will start to darken and small bubbles will form similar to pancakes. Turn over with a spatula and let the other side cook.
- Repeat until batter is gone.
- For filling: Pre-heat large pan to Medium.
- Add corn, red and green peppers, and green beans to the pan. Stir occasionally making sure they don’t burn.
- Once the vegetables look cooked about 5-7 minutes for frozen vegetables. Fresh vegetables take 5-7 minutes. Add in 1 cup of ricotta cheese and rest of chives. Stir into the vegetables until melted.
- Grab a couple crepes, lay them out flat on a plate and put a liberal amount of filling inside. Roll crepe and then add a tablespoon or more of the sour cream topping.